Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Meatballs

So I made meatballs last week and John paid me the ultimate compliment: "these are the best meatballs I have ever had!" Usually when I ask John what he thinks about dinner, he responds with a "it's good." I love to cook (mostly bake), but dinner is my least favourite meal to make, so I thought I would pass on the recipe, since I got such a good response.

Spaghetti & Meatballs
(serves 4)

500g pork mince (I used a pork/veal mix)
2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
1-4 cloves garlic, crushed (I like garlic, so I tend to use a lot)
1/2-1 tsp salt
1/2-1 tsp pepper
1 tbsp Italian spices
1 egg
1 cup stale breadcrumbs
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp olive oil
400g can crushed tomatoes
600-650ml tomato/pasta sauce
375g spaghetti
1/3 cup Romano cheese, finely grated

1. Combine pork, parsley, garlic, salt & pepper, Italian spices, egg, breadcrumbs and tomato paste in a large mixing bowl. Roll large tablespoons of pork mixture into balls.

2. Heat olive oil in large frying pan (or saucepan) on medium heat. Cook meatballs in pan until browned (be sure to rotate so that all sides cook evenly.)

3. Place undrained crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce in the pan with the meatballs. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.

4. Cook pasta according to directions. Serve pasta topped with meatballs & sauce and sprinkled with cheese. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment