Saturday, August 7, 2010

Mission Beach & Cairns

The last time my mom came to Australia was when Alexis was born.  Because I had had a c-section, we didn't really do any site-seeing, so this time around we wanted to show her all the places we love, which of course includes Mission Beach.

John and I usually go to Mission Beach every January and rent a holiday house on the beach with some friends.  Every year we try out a different house.  I've been wanting to stay in a house called "Sea-s-ta" for awhile now, but it's always booked out.  Lucky me, that is where we got to stay this time; unlucky for John, he had to stay home and work on this thesis.  (But I promised him that this January I would book really, really early, so he could get to stay there too, because it was amazing!)

Here's just a few pictures from Sea-s-ta:

We couldn't have asked for any more perfect weather (warm and sunny with just a touch of wind). 
It was nice to be able to take walks on the beach, lay out and play cards with my mom.
And Alexis got to go in an outdoor swing for the first time!  She loved it.

After two nights in Mission Beach (not long enough), we headed farther up north to Cairns.  That same day we took a half-day cruise to Green Island.  The island was beautiful, but it was extremely windy.  Our trip to Green Island was supposed to be my mom's chance to snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef.  I gave it a go, but the current was super strong and the waves were bringing in a lot of silt, so there was no visibility.  It was still a gorgeous day and a fun day-trip.
Our next day-trip was to Kuranda, a small village in the Daintree Rainforest.  We had a short walk around the shops and a fantastic lunch at a local cafe, but the best part of the trip was taking the skyrail over the forest canopy.

We also spent a day exploring the shops in downtown Cairns, as well as some time by the pool.  Alexis loves swimming, and had fun in the hotel pool, even though the I thought the water was freezing!

Overall, it was a fun week away with Nana.  If we hadn't missed Daddy so much, we would have loved to stay away longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment