Tuesday, March 22, 2011

New love?

Ever since deciding to eat vegetarian/vegan, we have been trying a lot of new things at our house.  Let me just say that I hate tofu!  I'm not really a big fan of soy in general,* and tofu has always grossed me out (I think it's the texture, plus the soy taste).  Everything I read about tofu says that is supposedly takes on the flavour of the seasonings you use with it; this has not been my experience.  I have tried quite a few tofu recipes over the last few months and have barely been able to eat any of them.  But, I am ever the optimist.  I was sure that I could at least get used to tofu, if I could find the right recipe.  We had this tonight for dinner (served as manicotti with their recipe for 'red sauce').  It was amazing!!  If someone else had made it for me, I would have never guessed that I was eating tofu.  Next on my list of tofu recipes to try is a tofu scramble (instead of scrambled eggs).  Even after this good experience with tofu, I'm still not looking forward to it.  Wish me luck!


*Except TVP, it's awesome!

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't believe how close to real ricotta cheese it was. The texture was almost the same. And as long as you load it up with garlic you couldn't taste any tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you's for goign vegan! Tell me more, why, do you feel different, is it permanant?? Im so curious!!

    oh and scramble tofu is actually pretty good on a toasted panini, had at a brekky cafe once.

    ReplyDelete